PhD research projects
Our School is recognised for its high-quality research with 94% of our research rated 'world-leading or internationally excellent' by the Research Excellence Framework 2014.
Our research is organised around our research groups, allowing the availability of a wide variety of PhD projects.
Explore and find out more about current project ideas by selecting a research group or research centre below.
Take a look through our research and supervisor profiles to decide if your intended research topic is likely to fit with any of the research the school is already undertaking. If there is a match, please contact the academic for that research area to discuss your research topic in more detail.
Please bear in mind that these research projects are currently unfunded so when making your application, you will be required to demonstrate that you have already obtained, or intend to apply for, external funding. To find out about our funded projects and studentships, and how to apply for these opportunities, visit our studentships and fees and funding pages.
- [SAMI 1] Studio Science: improving feature extraction in the studio; delivering new experiences to the consumer
- Multi physics sensor array for Silicon Carbide (SiC)-based power electronic converter prognostics in electric vehicles
- Exploration into the Development of Miniaturised Electromagnetic Wave Detection Methods for Medical Diagnostics
- Condition monitoring system for electric vehicle battery packs using current density images of Li-ion pouch cells
- Application of computational electromagnetic modelling via CST to guide clinical interpretation of images acquired by Optical Coherence Tomography