|Kok Keong Chai, also known as Michael is a senior lecturer (Associate Professor) and Internet of Things Programme Lead for Joint Programme QMUL between Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications (BUPT) , and a member in the Networks research group at QMUL. He received his BEng (Hons) with First Class honours, MSc and PhD, in 1998, 1999 and 2007 respectively. His PhD thesis was on adaptive Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing (OFDM) for wireless communications. From 2002 to 2008, he was at Staffordshire University as a senior lecturer. He joined School of Electronic Engineering and Computer Science (EECS), Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) on August 2008.|
News and Activities
- [Feb 2016] Organised and co-chair Special Session on Communications and Management of Smart Grid enabled Cities in conjunction with the EAI International Conference on Smart Grid Inspired Future Technologies, Liverpool, UK on May 19–20, 2016.
- [May 2015] Postdoc opening Robustness Electricity Networks for Smart Cities on ESRC/TSB funded European project on "Improving the Robustness of Urban Electricity Networks". Deadline 8-June-2015.
- [Nov 2014] Attended two day Smartgrid World Summit as part of IRENE project exploitation. Very fruitful event with talks from EU commissioner, UK Power Networks, IBM, Intel, Siemens, Ericsson, etc..
-  Two post-doc reserach assistant posts will be opening soon on ESRC funded project on "Improving the Robustness of Urban Electricity Networks". The successful candidates are expected to hold a PhD in the research area of energy model prediction for energy distribution planning and energy correlation between human activities and energy prediction; and the classification of security threats. Outstanding candidates without a PhD, but having directly relevant research or practical experience are also welcome to apply. Informal inquiries about these posts may be directed to Dr Michael Chai (Michael.Chai@qmul.ac.uk) or Dr Yue Chen (Yue.Chen@qmul.ac.uk)
- [July 2014] Call for paper [deadline: July 21, 2014 (extended)]: Wiley’s International Journal of Communication Systems: Special Issue on Energy Efficient Wireless Communication Networks with QoS. Click here for more info
- [June 2014] Organised a panel discussion on education resource integration, teaching at BUPT-QMUL Academic and Innovation Forum
- [Nov 2013] Co-organised and chaired a special session on M2M communications and networking in conjunction with the 15th IEEE International Conference on Communication Technology (ICCT2013), Guilin, China on November 17-19th, 2013
- [Nov 2013] Organised a research workshop on Research Funding Opportunities in UK/Europe and China on 15th Nov 2013. The workshop has discuss and explored the research funding opportunities in UK/Europe and China, and the application processes.
- [June 2013] The journal titled “The Impact of Rank Attack on Network Topology of Routing Protocol for Low-Power and Lossy Networks” which published in June 2013 has achieved the top 25 (Rank 10) most downloaded journal in IEEE Sensors Journal papers in the months of July and September, 2013. This count has included all Sensors Journal papers published since its foundation, about 1000 papers in total.
- [March 2013] Presented a talk on IoT Joint R&D and Industrial Engagement Workshop (21st and 22nd March 2013 in Beijing and Wuxi respectively)
- [March 2013] Organised Workshop in Enabling Smart Cities Technologies (5th and 6th March 2013). This workshop focuses on enabling smart cities technologies under Global Engagement grant. Three prestigious research institutions and a telecom industry were participated in the technical discussion in this workshop.
- [Jan 2013] Awarded the S&E Faculty Teaching Award in 2012/13 based on his innovation in designing virtual e-labs for the module that teaches in Beijing.
- [Oct 2012] Organised QM-BUPT Joint research and postgraduate workshop (Oct 2012). This workshop is funded by EPSRC Global Engagement grant. The workshop provides a platform that bringing together academics from both institutions on the state-of-the-art research topics and technologies, fostering high quality of research activities introduce up-to-date and interdisciplinary subjects. It consists of technical presentations from academics of BUPT and QMUL on the key research challenges of Wireless Networks & Communications, Future Network Infrastructure & Technologies, Internet Measurements & Content Delivery and Multimedia Sensor Networks. It also consists of a poster competition event.