Past News & Events
- 20 Dec 2011: At C4DM-hosted DMRN+6: Digital Music Research Network One-day Workshop
- 19 Dec 2011: New Danish grant: CoSound – A Cognitive Systems Approach to Enriched and Actionable Information from Audio Streams, led by Jan Larsen at DTU
- 29 Nov 2011: At EPSRC ICT Perspectives / Networks of Networks discussion meeting.
- 8 Nov 2011: C4DM presenting our "Cutting Edge Research" at AES UK event in London.
- 24-28 Oct 2011: At ISMIR 2011, Miami. Peter Foster and Anssi Klapuri presenting our poster on Causal prediction of continuous-valued music features.
- 20-21 Oct 2011: Visiting MERL, MIT Media Lab and The Echonest in Boston between WASPAA and ISMIR.
- 16-19 Oct 2011: At WASPAA 2011, New Paltz. Dimitrios Giannoulis and Daniele Barchiesi presenting our paper on Disjointess of Sources in Music.
- 15 Sep 2011: ICASSP 2012 Special Session on "Analysis Sparsity" accepted - see you in Kyoto in March!
- 14 Sep 2011: Samer Abdallah and Henrik Ekeus at British Science Festival with installation based on IDyOM project [news item].
- 14 Sep 2011: Join us for Centre for Digital Music: Past, Present and Future and Shaping the Future: Business/Research Collaboration in Digital Music, to celebrate 10 years of Digital Music research at Queen Mary!
- 1 Sep 2011: Invited talk on Analysing Digital Music at International Conference on Interdisciplinary Musicology (CIM11), Glasgow, Scotland.
- 16 Aug 2011: C4DM is part of £4m Knowledge Exchange Hub to benefit London’s creative economy. I'll be leading a part of this on "London's Digital Economy"
- 5 Aug 2011: 'Atmospheric Railway' by Di Mainstone and Adam Stark, at ReAnimate at the National Portrait Gallery. Reviewed in NewScientist Culture Lab and The Arts Desk
- 8 Jul 2011: At BBC MediaCityUK, Salford, for the launch of the new BBC Audio Research Partnership.
- 27-30 Jun 2011: At SPARS11 in Edinburgh. Includes presentations from PhD students Aris Gretsistas & Ken O'Hanlon, and postdocs Boris Mailhé & Ivan Damnjanovic.
- 2 Jun 2011: Press Release: New sound synchronisation technology holds the key to earlier diagnosis of heart disease [and at EPSRC]. See also DigiScope website.
Featured by: Electronics Weekly, ScienceDaily, e-Health Insider, The Engineer, Medical Xpress, e! Science News, Armenian Medical Network, Compute Scotland, Science Codex, My Health News, NewsODrome, Medical News Today, redOrbit (+ via wn.com, Yahoo News), Affective.com, Isaude.net,EureakAlert, Science2day, WebWire, MassDevice, Total Health, TopNews (NZ), HealthCanal, Health Jockey, Churnalism.com, Medical Daily, Medical Device Guru, biocompare, WellSphere, Polinema, Med Today, FirstScience.com, Sciencely.com, University of Porto Newsletter (in Portuguese), HospiMedica.
(Also some oddly reworded?: BreakingNews, asbigo)
- 25 May 2011: Co-chairing ICASSP 2011 Special Session: SS-L4: Learning Low-Dimensional Models for Large-Scale Data
- 23-27 May 2011: At ICASSP 2011, Prague. Papers:
- 20 May 2011: At EPSRC discussion on "Bringing together networks in ICT"
- 13-16 May 2011: At 130th AES Convention, London
- 12 May 2011: At MusicNet Music Linked Data Workshop
- 6 May 2011: See us at the Digital Shoreditch Summit
- 5-7 May 2011: See our research at the qMedia Open Studio
- 11-14 Apr 2011: Workshop and review for SMALL project in Paris
- 5 Apr 2011: See you at our EECS Research Open Day!
- 8 Mar 2011: Gave my Inaugural Lecture: Making Sense of Sound and Music
- 28 Feb - 1 Mar 2011: At DMASM 2011 International Workshop11 International Workshop in UCSD/Calit2, San Diego.
- 18 Feb 2011: At the Digital Communications KTN Personalised Interactive Broadcasting Event here at Queen Mary.
- 16 Feb 2011: Talking about research networking at EPSRC Workshop: Future Research Leaders in ICT
- 6-7 Jan 2011: Hosted SMALL Workshop on Sparse Dictionary Learning with Maria Jafari
- 21 Dec 2010: At C4DM-hosted DMRN+5: Digital Music Research Network One-day Workshop
- 20 Dec 2010: Hosted Machine Listening Workshop 2010 with Matthew Davies (despite the snow!)
- Postdoctoral Research Assistant: Sparse Representations for Audio Signals [Deadline: 27 Oct 2010]
- 27-30 Sep 2010: See you at LVA/ICA 2010
- 14-16 Sep 2010: See you at e-Science All Hands Meeting (AHM 2010)
- 6-8 Sep 2010: See you at INSPIRE 2010 Conference on information
representation and estimation: Announcement; Programme [pdf]; Registration (free)
- Software Sustainability website up at: SoundSoftware.ac.uk
- Job: Software
Developer: Audio and Digital Music (Deadline: 28 June 2010)
- 22-23 June 2010: Daniele Barchiesi wins prize for "Best Poster" at 2nd EECS
- Matthew Davies and Enrique Enrique Perez from C4DM
interviewed on the AES 128 Convention Day 4 podcast (00:52-13:50)
- 11 June 2010: Dan
Stowell will be at the Cheltenam
- 2-4 June 2010: Tim Murray-Browne will be at Sound,
Sight, Space and Play 2010 in Leicester, UK (presentation: 15:00 3 June)
- 22-25 May 2010: See you at AES
London 2010: The 128th AES Convention, including:
- 12-14 May 2010: At an interesting Computational
Audition Workshop at the Gatsby Institute.
- 29 April 2010: At "How?" event at EPSRC in Swindon,
showcasing research to EPSRC staff.
- 30 Mar 2010: Successful first year review of EU
SMALL project (Sparse Models, Algorithms and Learning for Large
- 22 Mar 2010: IMPACT! Exhibition featured on Guardian
Weekly Science Podcast. Our exhibit, "Not Yet Heard", starts about 16:37 in (with an intro at 1:27)
- Media coverage of IMPACT! Exhibition included:
- 16-19 Mar 2010: At ICASSP 2010, Dallas
- 16 Mar 2010: Designers Bernd Hopfengaerdner and Gunnar Green, with researchers
Andrew Robertson and Andrew Nesbit, ran a Schools Workshop at
the IMPACT! Exhibition. [Update: see this Blog Entry]
- 15 Mar 2010: At opening of the IMPACT! exhibition, including "Not Yet Heard", based on our Machine
- 10 Mar 2010: At the OMII-UK Collaborations Workshop (CW10), talking about the new Software Sustainability project.
- 9-12 Feb 2010: Brainstorming meeting of SMALL project in Villars
- Awarded new £950k EPSRC project: Sustainable Software for Digital Music and Audio
- 2 Feb 2010: Particiapted on an EPSRC ICT Prioritisation Panel
- 22 Dec 2009: At DMRN+4 Digital Music Research Network workshop
- 1 Dec 2009: At workshop for the forthcoming EPSRC Impact exhibition
- 19 Nov 2009: Dan Stowell's SuperCollider Twitter album sc140
featured on New Scientist
- Lecturer in Sound & Music Processing (Deadline 14 Aug 2009)
- 5-7 Jul 2009: At DSP
2009, Santorini, Greece
- PhD Studentship in Audio-Visual Machine Listening (Deadline 1 July 2009)
- 20-24 Apr 2009: At ICASSP 2009, Taiwan
- 6-9 Apr 2009: Keynote talk at SPARS'09, St Malo, France
- 1-3 Apr 2009: Poster with Marco Bevilacqua at Sparsity in Machine
Learning and Stastics workshop (SMLS 2009), Cumberland Lodge,
- 15-18 Mar 2009: Keynote talk on "Analysing Digital Music" at ICA 2009, Paraty, Brazil.
- 11 Dec 2008: New EU FET-Open Project: Sparse Models, Algorithms and Learning for Large Scale Data
Partners: INRIA/IRISA (France), Univ of Edinburgh (UK), EPFL
(Switzerland), Technion (Israel). Total funding €1.9m, £249k
to Queen Mary.
- 5 Dec 2008: New £5.3m EPSRC
Doctoral Training Centre in Digital Music and Media for the
- 10-14 Nov 2008: Invited talk on "Audio
analysis using sparse representations" (4pMU1) in special session at 156th Meeting of the ASA, Miami. (Additional excitement via unscheduled landing at Wilmington, SC on the way back)
- Nov 2008: EPSRC Final Assessment "Outstanding" for Object-Based
Coding of Musical Audio (GR/S75802/01).
- 16-19 Oct 2008: At MLSP
2008, Cancun, Mexico.
- 25-26 Sep 2008: ICA
Research Network International Workshop, Liverpool, UK (Final meeting of this EPSRC-funded Network)
- 16-19 Sep 2008: Invited lecturer at the 29th
Intl Summer School in Automatic Control: "Optimization on manifolds: theory and applications" Grenoble, France
Studentship in Compressed Sensing of Audio Scenes (Deadline: 19 Sept 2008)
- 25-29 Aug 2008: See you at EUSIPCO
2008, Lausanne, Switzerland!
- 27 Jul 2008: Awarded £1.2m EPSRC Leadership
Fellowship in Machine Listening using Sparse Representations.
- 19 Jun 2008: Invited talk at XXIV
Riunione Annuale dei Ricercatori di Elettrotecnica (ET2008), Pavia, Italy, July 2008
- 3 Jun 2008: Invited talk at ASIP-NET
seminar on Audio Content Analysis, Aalborg, Denmark.
- 6 May 2008: Invited talk at HSCMA 2008,
- 31 Mar-4 April 2008: See you at ICASSP
2008! (Andrew Nesbit is presented our paper in AE-L2.5).
- 13 Mar 2008: Invited talk at special session on
Sparsity in Signal and Image Processing at ISCCSP 2008, Malta.
- 11 Mar 2008: At Martin Cooke and Radu Horaud's workshop on Computational and
cognitive models for audio-visual interactions, Peak District
- 6 Mar 2008: Call for Proposals to host ICA 2009
- 18 Dec 2007: Hosted DMRN+2: Digital Music Research
Network One-day Workshop.
- 9-12 Sept 2007: Hosted the 7th International Conference on Independent Component Analysis and Signal Separation
(ICA 2007) [photos]
- 23 Mar 2007: New £1m EPSRC grant "Platform
Grant: Centre for Digital Music", with J D Reiss, M B Sandler,
P G T Healey and N J Bryan-Kinns.
- 20 Mar 2007: Talk
IET Buckinghamshire - Interacting with Digital Music
- 20 Dec 2006: Hosted DMRN+1 Digital Music Research
Network One-Day Workshop [Photos]
- 14 Nov 2006: New £2.5m EPSRC grant "OMRAS2: Online Music Recognition and Searching
- 8 Sept 2006: Special session with Matthew
Davies on "Musical Audio Beat and Rhythm Analysis" accepted
- 10 July 2006: EPSRC Final
Assessment "Outstanding" for Digital Music Resarch Network (EPSRC Grant GR/R64810/01).