The industrial experience year is an option offered to students studying for any of the bachelors or full time taught postgraduate (masters) degrees we offer in the School of Electronic Engineering and Computer Science.
This offers the student a chance to spend a year working with an employer in a role related to their degree subject, and offers you, as an employer, the chance to gain a talented, motivated employee for a year to help deliver, for example, a new project.
The aim for students is to:
- Make an effective contribution to the workplace and apply their technical skills to real life business problems
- Demonstrate the ability to reflect on their experience and to evaluate their performance
- Identify, reflect on and plan for their own personal and professional development needs
- Develop and improve their technical, transferable and interpersonal skills.
What are the potential benefits for employers?
As well as providing students with valuable opportunities to enhance their employability skills, there are also clear benefits to the organisation in employing a placement student, including:
- Gaining access to talented and motivated people who can bring new ideas and enthusiasm
- Providing a cost effective skilled staff resource to work on new projects/business initiatives
- Allowing you to ‘test-drive’ a student’s potential for permanent, future employment with your organisation
- We have an incredibly diverse student body so, as well as their technical skills, your business could also benefit from the international experiences, culture and language skills that many of our students bring.
Frequently asked questions
Some of our industrial experience students
VJ didn’t think his industrial experience year
working for UVD, a digital agency, would
involve working out on a rowing machine, but when he took a lead role in designing software for British Rowing, that’s just what he ended up doing. The product he worked on is being piloted before a potential roll-out across a nationwide gym company.
Milka completed her industrial experience year at ITRS Group. She impressed them so much during the programme that she was sent to represent the company in New York at a client site visit and they’ve kept her on part-time as she completes her final year back at university.
If you would like to advertise a vacancy or ask any questions about employing one of our students please contact:
Industrial Placement Manager
W: 020 7882 8532
M: 07500 993810