Prospective PhD Students
Would you like to join our team of PhD students, researchers and academics that are world leaders in their fields and are making a major impact on the world we live in?
Find out about our current PhD Opportunities.
The most recent UK Research Assessment Exercise places us in the top 20 UK universities for both Computer Science and Electronic Engineering. This success is due in no small part to our vibrant team of more than 250 PhD students and post-doctoral research assistants. The School has an active research grant portfolio of £35 million, with over £12 million announced in the last year.
“We believe interdisciplinary research is a vital source of innovation and pride ourselves on a variety of such research activity working with: psychologists developing mathematical models of human vision and human errors in software biologists decoding genome data and understanding cell deformation; Chemists developing RF assisted chemistry; musicians and actors producing better music and performance; mathematicians developing theories of network traffic and other complex interacting systems; medical researchers designing new monitoring techniques and to decision making strategies in trauma situations; lawyers to find ways to simplify risk and probability to juries
“Our ethos is to let people excel and follow their passions so if you feel that you have the skills and dedication to undertake a PhD in a world-class research institution then follow the links below that will guide you through the application process.”
Prof. Clive Parini Director of Research for the School of Electronic Engineering and Computer Science
Research in the School is centred around a number of research groups.
- Antennas & Electromagnetics (Antennas): PhD topics
- Computer Vision (Vision): PhD topics
- Networks: PhD topics
- Risk and Information Management (RIM): PhD topics
- Theoretical Computer Science (Theory): PhD topics
The following groups are clustered within qMedia.
- Centre for Digital Music (C4DM):
- Cognitive Science (CogSci):
- Media & Arts Technology EPSRC Doctoral Training Centre (MAT)
- MultiMedia and Vision (MMV):
Current PhD studentships
Studentships are available in the following theme area of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT).
- Antennas Group: Active Metamaterials research (EPSRC studentship).
- Computer Vision, Multimedia and Vision Groups: Intelligent sensing research (EPSRC studentship).
- Risk & Information Management Group: Risk Management and Machine Intelligence.
- Cognitive Science.
- Networks Group: Cloud Computing (EPSRC CASE award).
- Theory Group: software verification, distributed computing, high performance computing, information theory and security.
- EPSRC Doctoral Training Centre in Media & Arts technology.
We are also a Partner in the India-UK Virtual Graduate School.