Dr Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh
I am interested in the logical and mathematical structures governing artificial intelligence. In particular, I am interested in understanding how language works, so we may enable computers to use it in ways similar to humans.
My current project is on combining statistical and logical models of language. On the statistical side, I work with vector space models of real text. On the logical side, my work is based on categorial grammars such as CCG, Lambek calculus, pregroup grammars. I work with resources such as tensors and entangled states, which have proved invaluable for obtaining better experimental bounds. Similar models have been applied to reasoning about quantum protocols.
Previously, I worked on algebraic and coalgebraic models of multi-agent information flow, where I developed a sound and complete algebraic semantics and a cut-free sequent calculus with adjoint modalities for a positive and an intuitionistic fragment of dynamic epistemic logic, with applications to reasoning about learning via communication and navigation.
Topics of Interest
Compositional Distributional Semantics
Category Theoretical Models of Natural Language
Pregroup Grammars, Vector Space Models
Dynamic Epistemic Logic, Algebra , Coalgebra, Proof Theory
Reviews for journals and other: TCS, MSCS, JoLLI, Entropy, JLC, CL, ACL, NAACL, EACL and EMNLP, ... .
- 24th Workshop on Logic Language Information and Computation (WoLLIC), 2017
- EPSRC funded Workshop on Statistical and Logical Models of Meaning (SaLMoM), NASSLLI, 2016
- CIMPA funded Workshop on Modal Logic and its Applications in CS,University of Tehran, 2016
- International Conference on Computational Semantics (IWCS), QMUL, 2015
- EPSRC funded Workshop on Advances in Distributional Semantics, QMUL, 2015
- EPSRC and BLC funded Workshop on Algebra and Coalgebra meets Proof Theory (ALCOP) 2014 (QMUL).
- British Council and Platform Beta Techniek funded Workshop on Quantum Physics and Linguistics, 2010 (Oxford)
- OASIS seminar series, from Oct 2008 to Oct 2013, seminar series of the Foundations group, Dept of CS, Oxford.
- Cakes talks, Hilary and Trinity 2012, Dept of CS, Oxford.
- Quantum Physics and Linguistics: A Compositional‚ Diagrammatic Discourse, Chris Heunen, Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh, Edward Grefenstette (eds), Oxford University Press. February, 2013.
- AFSOR project (with Oxford): Algorithmic and Logical Aspects when Computing Meanings.
- Clothes Network Ltd: Compositional vector methods for request classification, with FayiMora Femi-Balogun.
- EPSRC project: New Foundational Structures for Engineering Verified multi-UAV's.
- EPSRC Career Acceleration Fellowship: Foundational Structures for Compositional Meaning.
- Done: EPSRC Postdoctoral Fellowship: (AlCoSeK) Alegbraic and Coalgebraic Semantics for Knowledge.
- My research profile in QMUL's Connect newsletter, August 2016.
- `How to feed and raise a Wikipedia robo-editor', Conversation, December 11, 2015.
- `Entanglement in quantum phenomena and natural language', Technology.org, May 21, 2014.
- `Algebra bridges syntax and meaning in natural language', Technology.org, July 29, 2014.
- `Our ambiguous world of words', University of Cambridge Research Horizons, May 2013.
- `Quantum physics => Natural language', Inspired Research, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Oxford, Summer 2011.
- `Quantum links let computers understand language', New Scientist, issue 2790,
- International Conference on Logic and Machine Learning in Natural Language, Centre for Linguistics Theory and Studies in Probability (CLASP), University of Gothenburg, Sweden, June, 2017.
- EPSRC ICT Early Career Workshop, Cardiff, 6-7 March, 2017.
- Workshop on Modal Logic and Applications in Computer Science, University of Tehran, September, 2016.
- 21st Conference on Formal Grammar, University of Bolzano-Bozen, August 2016.
- Quantum Linguistics, Tungsten Public Lecture, Goldsmith College, London, January 2016.
- 11th International Tbilisi Symposium on Language, Logic and Computation (TbiLLC), Goerigian Academy of Science, September, 2015.
- British Logic Colloquium, Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences, University of Cambridge, September, 2015.
- 1st International Conference on Topics in Theoretical Computer Science (TTCS 2015), Institute for Research in Fundamental Sciences (IPM), Tehran, Iran, August, 2015.
- The Legacy of Joachim Lambek (FoLLI affiliated meeting),15th Congress on Logic, Methodology, and Philosophy of Science, Helsinki. August 2015.
- 22nd Workshop on Logic, Language, Information and Computation (WoLLIC), Bloomington, July 2015.
- Second Iran Conference in Logic, Tehran, December 2014.
In specialised and/or Festschrift meetings:
- `Word Order Alternations in Sanskrit via Precyclicity in Pregroup Grammars', A Conference in Honour of Prakash Panangaden on the Occasion of his 60th Birthday, Oxford, May 2014.
- `Cyclicity in Pregroups', From categories to logic, linguistics and physics: a tribtue for the 90th birthday of Joachim Lambek, Centre de Recherche Mathematiques (CRM),Montreal, September 2013.
- `Compact Closed Categories and Frobenius Algebras for Computing Natural Language Meaning', Dagstuhl Meeting on Information Flow and its Applications, August 2012.
- `Algebra and Proof Theory for a Logic of Propositions, Actions and Adjoint Modal Operators', Computational Logic Workshop in Honour of Roy Dyckhoff, St Andrews, November 2011.
- `What is the vector space content of what we say? A Categorical Approach to Distributed Meaning', 3rd Workshop on Logic and Pragmatics, Faculty of Science, University of Verona, December 2008.
- `What is the vector space content of what we say? A Categorical Approach to Distributed Meaning', 3rd Workshop on Categories, Logic, Foundations of Physics, Computing Lab, Oxford University, August 2008.
- `From [pregroup] Types to [vector space] Meaning', 50 Years from Syntax Calculus, Conference on
Developments in Mathematical Linguistics and Cognitive Science, University of Chieti, Italy, July 2008.
- `Okham's Razor Applied to Reasoning about Information Flow', Workshop on the Philosophy of Information and Logic, University of Oxford, Nov 2007.
- Many Valued Generalised Quantifiers for Natural Language in the DisCoCat Model, Matej Dostal and Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh, QMUL Technical Report.
- Distributional Inclusion Hypothesis for Tensor-based Composition, Dimitri Kartsaklis and Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh, 6th International Conference on Computational Linguistics, Osaka, Japan, December 2016.
- A Compositional Distributional Inclusion Hypothesis, Dimitri Kartsaklis and Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh, the 9th edition of the Conference on Logical Aspects of Computational Linguistics, Nancy, France, December 2016.
- A Generalised Quantifier Theory of Natural Language in Categorical Compositional Distributional Semantics with Bialgebras, Jules Hedges and Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh, 13th Int. Conference on Quantum Physics and Logic (QPL), Glasgow, June 2016, arXiv[1602.01635], submitted to MSCS.
- Quantifier Scope in Categorical Compositional Distributional Semantics, Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh, Workshop on Semantic Spaces at the Intersection of NLP, Physics and Cognitive Science,
- Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh and Reinhard Muskens, NASSLLI workshop on Statistical and Logical Models of Meaning (SaLMoM), Rutgers, NJ, 2016.
- Sentence Entailment in Compositional Distributional Semantics, Esma Balkir, Dimitri Kartsaklis and Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh, International Symposium on Artificial Intelligence and Mathematics (ISAIM), Florida, USA, January 2016, submitted to Annals of Maths and AI.
- Distributional Sentence Entailment Using Density Matrices, Esma Balkir, Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh, Bob Coecke, LNCS-FTP proceedings of TTCS, editors: MT Hajiaghayi MT, MR Mousavi, volume, 9541, pages 1-22. 2015.
- The Frobenius anatomy of word meanings II: possessive relative pronouns, Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh, Stephen Clark, Bob Coecke, Journal of Logic and Computation, Essays dedicated to Roy Dyckhoff on the occasion of his retirement, S. Graham-Lengrand and D. Galmiche (eds.), Volume 26, pages 785-815, 2016.
- IR meets NLP: On the Semantic Similarity between Subject-Verb-Object Phrases, Dmitrijs Milajevs, Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh, Thomas Roelleke, ACM SIGIR International Conference on the Theory of Information Retrieval (ICTIR), USA, 2015.
- The Use of English Colour Terms in Big Data, Dimitris Mylonas, Matthew Purver, Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh, Lindsay MacDonald and Lewis Griffin, in Proceedings of the 2015 Meeting of the International Colour Association (AIC), Tokyo, May 2015.
- A Frobenius Model of Information Structure in Categorical Compositional Distributional Semantics. Dimitri Kartsaklis, Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh. 14th Meeting on the Mathematics of Language (MoL), 2015.
- Open System Categorical Quantum Semantics in Natural Language Processing. Robin Piedeleu, Dimitri Kartsaklis, Bob Coecke, Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh, Conference on Algebra and Coalgebra in Computer Science (CALCO), 2015.
- Evaluating Neural Word Representations in Tensor-Based Compositional Settings, Dmitrijs Milajevs, Dimitri Kartsaklis, Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh, Matthew Purver, 2014 Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing (EMNLP), Qatar, October 2014.
- Resolving Lexical Ambiguity in Tensor Regression Models of Meaning, Dimitri Kartsaklis, Nal Kalchbrenner and Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh, In Proceedings of the 52nd Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL): Short Papers. Baltimore‚ USA, June, 2014.
- Concrete Models and Empirical Evaluations for the Categorical Compositional Distributional Model of Meaning, Ed Grefenstette, Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh, Journal of Computational Linguistics, Volume 41, Pages 71-118, March 2015.
- A Low-Level Treatment of Generalized Quantifiers in Categorical Compositional Distributional Semantics, Ondrej Rypacek and Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh, Second Workshop on Natural Language and Computer Science, A workshop affiliated with the joint meeting of Computer Science Logic (CSL) and Logic in Computer Science (LiCS), Vienna, July 2014.
- Word Order Alternations in Sanskrit via Precyclicity in Pregroup Grammars, Claudia Casadio and Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh, In Horizons of the Mind, Essays dedicated to Prakash Panangaden on the occasion of his 60th birthday, LNCS 8464, May 2014.
- A Study of Entanglement in a Categorical Model of Natural Language, Dimitri Kartsaklis and Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh, 11th workshop on Quantum Logic and Physics (QPL), Kyoto University, June 2014. arXiv:1405.2874.
- Semantic Unification: a sheaf theoretic approach to natural language, Samson Abramsky and Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh, In: Catgories and Types in Logic, Language, and Physics, Essays dedicated to Jim Lambek on the occasion of his 90th birthday, Casadio et al (eds.), LNCS 8222, pages 1- 13, 2014. arXiv:1403.3351
- Algebraic Semantics and Model Completeness for Intuitionistic Public Announcement Logic, Minghui Ma, Alessandra Palmigiano and Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh, Annals of Pure and Applied Logic, Volume 165, Pages 963--995, 2014.
- Gijs Wijnholds (QMUL, with Robinson)
- Dmitrijs Milajevs (QMUL, with Dr Purver)
- Dimitri Kartsaklis (graduated, Oxford, with Profs Coecke and Pulman)
- Edward Grefenstette (graduated, Oxford, with Profs Coecke and Pulman)
- Pere Pardo (graduated, Barcelona, with Prof Godo)
- Mathematics for Electronic Engineers, ECS 408 U, Sept-Dec 2016, EECS, QMUL.
- Computability ECS 613 U, joint with Greta Yorsh, Jan-Apr 2013-15, EECS, QMUL.
- Reasoning about Information Update, 2008 to 2012, Dept of CS, Oxford.
- Logical Computations in Multi-Agent Systems, Sino-European Winter School on Logic Language Information (SELLC), Guanghzou, China, Dec'10.
Alternative Choir and Music Society, Oct 2009 to 2012. Wolfson College, Oxford.