Title: Post-Doctoral Research Assistant
Tel: Internal:  5459
National: 020 7882 5459
International: +44 20 7882 5459
Fax: National: 020 7882 7997
International: +44 20 7882 7997
Room: Eng 360
Research Group: Antenna & Electromagnetics Research Group
Project title: Wearable Antennas for Body-Centric Wireless Networks
George K. Palikaras was born in Volos, Greece, in 1981. He is a promising young researcher with an excellent fundamental knowledge in H/ware + S/ware engineering and telecommunications (his Bachelor and Master degrees in Computer Engineering and Digital Communication Systems were defended with honours in 2002 and 2003, respectively). He is currently completing his Doctor of Philosophy thesis entitled “Cylindrical High Directivity Antennas Using Metamaterial Surfaces” at Loughborough University’s Electronic and Electrical Engineering Department in the Wireless Communications Research Group (WiCR). He has recently joined (Jan 2008) the Antennas & Electromagnetics Research Group at Queen Mary, University of London where he is working as a post-doctoral researcher on “Wearable Antennas for Body-Centric Wireless Networks”.
During the past four years George Palikaras has made significant contributions with his research on conformal and planar antennas using metamaterials for fixed and mobile 3rd generation wireless communications. George Palikaras has been active in the design and implementation of metamaterials, which are in essence, the materials of the future, since the main purpose for their study is to be able to go beyond where naturally occurring substances and current materials research have taken us. Research in metamaterials involves a wide spectrum of disciplines ranging from Applied Mathematics and Physics to Electrical and Electronic Engineering, from Chemistry to Materials Science, and even Biophysics. Thus, the metamaterials research is indeed a truly multidisciplinary field spanning the area from basic theoretical and experimental research at universities to industrial production of a diverse array of electrical, microwave, infrared and optical materials and devices.
The most important results are devoted to studies of novel antennas based on metamaterial surfaces such as Electromagnetic Band-Gap (EBG) and Artificial Magnetic Conductors (AMC). George K. Palikaras area of technical expertise covers the following topics:
- Electromagnetic properties of metamaterials including negative-refractive-index or LHM and EBG materials.
- Periodic structures for microwave and millimetre wave applications.
- Improvement of antenna properties using artificial surfaces and materials (metamaterials).
- High-impedance surfaces (HIS) and artificial magnetic conductors (AMC) applied to antenna designs for performance optimisation.
George Palikaras is currently a member of the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET, www.theiet.org), formerly Institute of Electrical Engineers (IEE), Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE, www.ieee.org), Antennas and Propagation Society (AP-S, www.ieeeaps.org), IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques Society (MTT-S, www.mtt.org)
His research interests include: Wearable antenna systems for body-centric wireless networks, analysis and design of metamaterials such as Electromagnetic Band Gap (EBGs) and Artificial Magnetic Conductors (AMCs), periodic array antennas for mobile communications, high-gain cylindrical cavity antennas.
- Palikaras, G.K. et al, “Chapter 20: Metamaterial Antenna Applications”, Metamaterials Handbook: Applications of Metamaterials, CRC Press, 2009.
Substantial Journal Papers:
- *Palikaras, G. K.; Feresidis, A. P.; Vardaxoglou, J. C.; “Cylindrical electromagnetic bandgap structures for directive base station antennas”, IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters. 3(6), 87 - 89. 11 Mar 2004.
- Goussetis, G., Feresidis, A. P.; Palikaras, G. K.; Kitra, M. and Vardaxoglou, J. C.; “Miniaturization of electromagnetic band gap structures for mobile applications”, Radio Science Bulletin., 40, RS6S04, doi:10.1029/2004RS003194.
- *Palikaras, G.K.; Feresidis, A.P.; Vardaxoglou, J.C.;. Omni-directional Balanced Dipole Antenna with Enhanced E-plane Directivity Based on Cylindrical Electromagnetic Band Gap Surfaces. Antennas and Propagation, IEEE Transactions (in press).
- *Palikaras, G.K.; Feresidis, A.P.; Vardaxoglou, J.C.; “Improving the Radiation Characteristics of Cylindrical Microstrip Patch Antennas by Means of MEBG-PRS Periodic Arrays” IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, (in press)
- A. Sani, A. Alomainy, G. Palikaras, Y. Nechayev, Y. Hao, C. G. Parini, P. S. Hall, "Experimental Characterization of UWB On-Body Radio Channel in Indoor Environment Considering Different Antennas", IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, Issue 10 (Part 2).
- Y. Zhao, G. Palikaras, P. A. Belov, R. F. Dubrovka, C. R. Simovski, Y. Hao, and C. G. Parini, “Magniﬁcation of subwave-length ﬁeld distributions using a tapered array of metallic wires with planar interfaces and an embedded dielectric phase compensator,” New J. Phys., in press (2010)
- Pavel A. Belov, George K. Palikaras, Yan Zhao, Atiqur Rahman, Constantin R. Simovski, Yang Hao, and Clive Parini, “Experimental demonstration of multi-wire endoscopes capable of manipulating near-ﬁelds with subwavelength resolution,” Applied Phys. Letters, in press (2010)
Refereed Conference Contributions
- *Palikaras, G.K.; Feresidis, A.P.; Vardaxoglou, J.C.;. Cylindrical electromagnetic band gap structures for base station antennas. Antennas and Propagation Society Symposium. 2, 1163 - 1166. 20 Jun, 2004.
- Feresidis, A.P., Wang, S., Palikaras, G., Goussetis, G., and Vardaxoglou, J.C.: ‘Metamaterials-based directive antennas,’. Asia Paciﬁc Microwave Conf.(APMC), New Delhi, India, 15-18 December, 2004.
- *Palikaras, G.K.; Feresidis, A.P.; Vardaxoglou, J.C.; Novel Omni-Directional Wireless LAN Antenna using Cylindrical EBG Structures. Loughborough Antennas and Propagation Conference (LAPC) 2005. Paper #1568958376, Loughborough, U.K., April, 2005.
- *Palikaras, G.K.; Feresidis, A.P.; Vardaxoglou, J.C.;. Cylindrical EBG Surfaces for Omni-Directional Wireless LAN Antennas. IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society Symposium. Washington, USA, 3-8 Jul, 2005.
- Goussetis G.; Feresidis A.P.; Palikaras G.K.; Kitra M; and Vardaxoglou J.C;. Miniaturisation of Electromagnetic Band Gap Structures for Mobile Applications. IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society Symposium, Washington, USA, 3-8 Jul, 2005.
- Feresidis, A.P; Wang, S.; Palikaras, G.K.; Goussetis, G. and Vardaxoglou, J.C. “Metamaterials-based Planar and Cylindrical Directive Antennas,” ICEAA 2005 International Conference on Electromagnetics in Advanced Applications, Torino, Italy, 12-16 September, 2005
- *Palikaras, G.K.; Feresidis, A.P.; Vardaxoglou, J.C.; Cylindrical Antennas Using Electromagnetic Band Gap Arrays For Base Station And Wi-Fi Applications. 12th International Student Conference, St Petersburg. October, 2005.
- *Palikaras, G.K.; Feresidis, A.P.; Vardaxoglou, J.C.; Beamforming and leaky waves deployed from cylindrical metastructures. Third Workshop on Metamaterials and Special Materials for Electromagnetic Applications and TLC. Rome 30-31 March, 2006.
- *Palikaras, G.K.; Feresidis, A.P.; Vardaxoglou, J.C.; Cylindrical Highly-Directive Antennas using EBG Apeture arrays. The first European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP 2006). Nice, France, 6 - 10 *November, 2006
- Vardaxoglou, J.C.; Palikaras, G.K.; Saenz, E.; Gonzalo, R.; and Maagt, P.; Applications of AMC, EBG and LHM Structures in Planar and Cylindrical Antennas. The first European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP 2006), Nice, France, 6 - 10 November, 2006.
- *Palikaras, G.K.; Feresidis, A.P.; Vardaxoglou, J.C.; Design of Cylindrical Omni-Directional Patch Antenna With Superimposed EBG Surfaces. Third Loughborough Antennas & Propagation Conference (LAPC 2007), Loughborough, UK, 2-3 April, 2007.
- *Palikaras, G.K.; Feresidis, A.P.; Vardaxoglou, J.C.; Radiation Characteristics of Cylindrical Microstrip Patch Antennas Using Metallic EBG Surfaces as Superstrates. IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Honolulu, Hawai'i, USA, June 10-15, 2007.
- *Palikaras, G.K.; Feresidis, A.P.; Vardaxoglou J.C.; “Omni-Directional Conformal Microstrip Fed Antennas Using Passive Periodic Arrays”, International Symposium on Electromagnetic Theory (EMTS 2007), Ottawa, Canada. July 26-28, 2007.
- *Chauraya, A.; Kelly, J.; Palikaras, G. K.; Mulenga, C. B.; Flint, J. A.; Feresidis, A. P. and Vardaxoglou, J. C.; “Planar And Cylindrical Metamaterial Structures For Antenna Applications”, International Symposium on Electromagnetic Theory (EMTS 2007), Ottawa, Canada. July 26-28, 2007.
- *Feresidis, A. P.; Maragou, M.; Palikaras, G. K.; Vardaxoglou J. C.; “Cylindrical-Conformal Resonant Cavity Antennas Using Passive Periodic Surfaces”, International Conference on Electromagnetics in Advanced Applications, Torino, Italy, September 17-21, 2007.
- G.K. Palikaras, P.A. Belov, Y. Zhao and Y. Hao, “Experimental demonstration of sub-wavelength imaging with magnification by a tapered wire medium lens in microwave range”, Proc. of Metamaterials’2008, pp. 20080526-015411 (1-3), Pamplona (Spain), 21-26 September, 2008.
- Andrea Sani, George Palikaras, Akram Alomainy, and Yang Hao, “Time Domain UWB Radio Channel Characterisation for Body-Centric Wireless Communications in Indoor Environment”, Proc. IET seminar on wideband and ultrawide band systems and technologies, London, 2008
- P.A. Belov, G. Palikaras, Y. Zhao, A. Rahman, R. Dubrovka, C.R. Simovski, Y. Hao and C. Parini “Magnification and demagnification with subwavelength resolution by hyperlenses from arrays of metallic wires”, Proc. of 3rd International Congress on Advanced Electromagnetic Materials in Microwaves and Optics, pp. 99-101, London, UK, August 30-September 4, 2009.
- G.K. Palikaras, A. Feresidis and Y. Hao “Low-profile High-directivity conformal antennas based on high impedance and EBG metamaterial surfaces”, Proc. of 3rd International Congress on Advanced Electromagnetic Materials in Microwaves and Optics, pp. 147-149, London, UK, August 30-September 4, 2009.
- J. (Yiannis) C. Vardaxoglou, A. Chauraya, R. D. Seager, N. Riauka, G. K. Palikaras, and P deMaagt “Towards Metasurfaces for Wideband Systems”, Proc. of 3rd International Congress on Advanced Electromagnetic Materials in Microwaves and Optics, pp. 141-143, London, UK, August 30-September 4, 2009.
- M. Alexander, G. Palikaras, A. Sani, M. Rajab “Characterisation of low reflectivity antenna supports for electrically small antennas, and pattern measurement via optical fibre to eliminate common mode current errors” presented at ARMMS, Oxford, April 2009.
- G.K. Palikaras, C. Parini and Y. Hao “Low-profile high-directivity reconfigurable metamaterial hybrid antennas”, Proc. of Days on Diffraction 2009 International Conference, pp.129-130, St Petersburg, Russia, May 26 – 29, 2009
- Rostyslav Dubrovka, Pavel A. Belov, George Palikaras, Yan Zhao, and Constantin R. Simovski, “Transmission, magnification and demagnification of microwave near-field distributions by tapered arrays of wires” 3rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP 2009), pp. 3192-3195, Berlin, Germany, 2009.
- P.A. Belov; G. Palikaras, Y. Zhao, R. Dubrovka, and C.R. Simovski, “Manipulation of near field by means of arrays of wires”, Proc. of 2nd International Conference on Matamaterials, Photonic Crystals and Plasmonics (META'10), pp. P330 (1-5), Cairo, Egypt, February 22-25, 2010
- P.A. Belov, G.Palikaras, M.G. Silveirinha, Y.Zhao, R. Dubrovka, C.R. Simovski, Y.Hao and C.Parini, “Manipulation of near fields by means of metamaterials”, Proc. 5th Forum on New Materials, CIMTEC’2010, p. 108, Montecatini Terme, Italy, June 13-18, 2010.